Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Delphi Roady is trickling in. Any ideas on where to mount this lil bugger? It matches the E's interior and blends in real well. But there is nowhere to mount this guy besides the shelf in front of the plugs. Any Ideas???

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been having these same thoughts. Yes, you could do a more invasive install shell some $ for the install and put it just about anywhere you want. I think I am going to try to put it to the left of the steering wheel and route the wires under the dash. Not the prettiest but more importantly, not the most expensive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's a huge forum of install pictures in different cars over on xmfan. 99% of that is SkyFi, but it could give y'all some ideas of the different mounts and install styles on a slightly bigger unit than roady.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have purchased the Roady. :lol: This had been one of the major drawbacks of the E over the last few months for me. It is a snap to get it running. The one thing you need that does not come in the blister pack is a plug from the Roady to the Aux port. I got one from Radio Shack for about $8 on the way home from C.C. In 1&1/2 hours from start, I had the radio plugged in and programmed with my favorite channels. I will now begin looking into haveing it fully installed in the overhead bin. I think it will fit but probably not cheaply.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I just installed it yesteday... It fit right under the shifter. On top of the sub-woofer. I used the same pedestal it came with and ran the wires behind the console. We created a new cig lighter hidden behind the console. So that the power would be constant. The Roady looks real well and the wires are all hidden, except the 3 that come out of the side into the space on top of the sub. Besides that it looks great... I want to take some pics so that I can post em here. But I gotta find a camera. Let me know if you have any questions...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I threaded it through the rubber grommet in the door and mounted in the front. Stashed the extra wire on a lil shelf under the glove box. The only wire you see is by the door hinge. Really Cool Job...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Could one of you who just got the Roady tell me about the antenna. How is it installed? Is it on yur roof?

ThANKS
Thom Wodock

·
Registered
11 Posts
They reccomend that you have it mounted (this atten is a magnet) on a metal piece of the outside of the car. Currently, I have it on top of the Dash-mat with the cord going underneath the mat to the unit. I have not had any probelm with it inside the E.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I had it inside for the weekend and it worked fine. Now I have it mounted on the roof, It almost blends in with the paneling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"rubber grommet" in the door.... you mean that ribbed tube thing?

And if you thread the antenna wire through there, does it drop below the steering wheel/gauges?

slapping an antenna on the dash will probably give you ok reception if you live in a large city where XM has a repeater network, esp. considering the shape/space of the E's windshield area. But if you go somewhere rural, your reception will not be nearly as good as if it were on the roof.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, The Ribbed Tube Thing...
I ran mine on the passenger side. So I could get it closer to the power. But you have to take a bunch of panels off. No big deal but don't lose any screws. :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
awright, bear with me...

if i put the antenna on the driver's side (less likely to suffer dropouts due to overhanging trees), do i still have to take off panels? which panels? how? any diagrams somewhere that explain this to newbies?? I don't want to wreck my new baby but at the same time it seems like this isn't rocket science if one knows what to do...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could probably get away with just taking off the one when you open the door and take out the glove box. That'll get you in the right place. I think thats what you're asking...

·
Registered
24 Posts
So basically, if I go through the ribbed tube thingie on the passenger side, the antenna lead winds up behind the glove box? and I noticed there are two big twisty screw things on a panel under the steering wheel... if I go through the ribbed tube thingie on the driver side, would the lead come out behind that panel, so I could just turn out those screws?

Any particular advice on pulling the "grommet?" Does it just plug on and off the door sill?

Also, did you mount the roady below the shifter or in the cubbyhole in front of the aux/power? Did you use the included mount?

also, interesting other option -- note this will also work with roady, roady has the same mounting notch in the back as the skyfi (note i have nothing to do with this auction and have not used this product):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048457858&category=32816

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alright, done it!!!

Lifted the black molding a tad and tucked the wire under there. Then, shoved it through the "grommett" into the car, under the dash, and voila!

Easy as pie. SkyFi sits in the cubbyhole in front of the AUX/12V adaptors. Maybe not the best place, will think about mounting it under the shifter, but the included mount doesn't give enough angle for such a low position.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the antenna held on to the roof by a magnet? I think that was what was mentioned before.

Thanks
Thom Wodock

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes, it's a very powerful magnet. It won't move very easily. Driving, wind, bumps, etc., aren't going to be an issue with it. Probably OK in the car wash, too.

the new blitzsafe antenna, which is even SMALLER, is also magnetized but has little rubber feet that touch the car, for the extra paranoid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One more question - where did you get the Roady? I have been to Circut City and Best Buy and neither of them have it yet.

Thom Wodock

1 - 20 of 24 Posts