Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Yakima Rack system for less than a year and the rack has only been on E twice. It has not had any loads on it to date either. The black plastic has around the bars has begun cracking and pealing away. Has any one else experienced this problem and if so do you know if Yakima will replace the bars?
:-x

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Wow. Take it back to the dealer where you got it or to a local bike shop that carries Yakima. I have several sets of Yakima bars (48", 58" and 78") with the oldest set being 20+ years old and although they don't look new they don't look like yours.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have 2 sets of bars that are over 5 years old and neither set look like that.

I would go back to the dealer or call Yakima. They are not to hard to deal with.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I kept the bars and towers in the back of the E so the were handy. The dealer said I should have kept them on the E that it is to hot inside. I told him I keep a lot of gear in the back of my E and that nothing else was cracking and that there was no warning on the bars that said cracks and peal in heat. The dealer said he had to call Yakima and would let me know. I also wrote to Yakima and sent them pictures. I will let you know what they do, if any thing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hope they come through and replace your crossbars. I seriously doubt they're supposed to be doing that in under a year.

I've had my crossbars since my parents put it on our Saab in the early 90s. It has since been on a Ford Explorer and now my Element. The bars are peeling away on the ends, but it's more because the end caps had rusted on and had to be pried off during the Explorer to E transfer. There are also larger bare spots in the middle of my crossbars, but I'm almost positive it's from when my brother drove into a parking garage with bikes on top and ripped the crud out of the racks. The poor things have been through a lot, but I can't say they look anything like yours. :(

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up date

I Emailed Yakima, including pictures of what had happen to the cross bars. They responded quickly. They are replacing the bars. They were very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts