Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting the yakima rack for my SC when I get the money. I read, but cant find pictures, that you can put covers on to almost make it invisible. I want a roof rack but dont want it on at all times, the stock one does not hold alot for my liking, also, if you have pics with it installed with a cargo box or bag, that would be helpful also. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have that setup and mine is off right now. I only put it on when I haul a kayak or canoe. I'll take a snapshot for you tomorrow if someone doesn't already have one to put up.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would appreciate it greatly, thanks bud,
Steve

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cecil, hows it been, either I am blind or the pic is not there, I could not find it.
I like the pics obviously with the rack, your E looks great, mainly want a pic with the covers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Beat me to it. I washed Em this morning in prep for a pic but alas you guys beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for finding the pics, I appreciate it. On another note, I have some decision making to do. I dont likehow the stand pads are not flush like the stock setup is, it just looks homemade to me. The nubs that it leavez kind of looks bad. The only thing I like is the wieght limits compared to the stock honda setup, 75 lbs. just seems easy to surpass with 2 adults and 2 childrens worth of luggage for a week vacation. Has anyone else modded the stands to look better?
Thanks guys and gals,
Steve

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Since the nubs are structural I doubt very much could be done to modify them directly. About the only thing I could think of would be to make a larger plastic cover which would make the transition from the roof cladding to the nub smoother. These would have to be pretty large as a result and IMO not worth the effort.

Frankly I find the nubs barely noticeable and certainly not a big deal given the functionality of the rack.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I like my nubs just they way they are, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Depends on how often you want the rack on there ... it's not THAT hard to install the whole thing ... take ya what, 10-15 minutes, each time? That way you get the functionality of the "nicer" rack, but the clean lines when you're not using it.

It works for me to leave the little nub covers on there, cuz I don't mind how it looks. But with as often as I use the rack (a couple times a year max), it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do the whole install/uninstall if the look mattered that much.

I'm not forgetting any key step, right? I still have the original cover plates.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I had a AWD EX, I would keep it on all the time, just being a SC and I am a car nut, my cars have to look a certain way to me and only me. I am trying to find a PDF of the install of the Element rack, I am having absolutly no luck, just to see how this installs and if it is easy to use once or twice a year, thats all I will need if for. I take 2 big trips a year, one from Ohio to Wyoming and another from Ohio to where ever we feel and with having 2 kids and a dog, it is cramped and want the luggage out of the car for room.
thanks
steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can assure the Yakima rack set up is the easiest I have ever encountered. I wish I saw this thread before I threw mine on Friday night. I would have documented it with photos. The set up is so fast that taking the pictures would have doubled the time it took.

I have been driving around all winter without the racks on. The slots were covered with the nubs. I also had my rear seats out all winter as well. (this did wonders for my mpg as well). My brother is up from North Carolina. At dinner Friday night he asked if any of us wanted to do the Helluva Ride Saturday morning. My brother in law and I said sure. When I got home Friday night late I ripped the nubs off (covers) when I got out of the car. Went into the garage and grabbed both cross bars with mounts on. (the spacing of the mounts is different for the front and back bars) Walked them to the E dropped the corresponding cross bars into their slots. Walked around the E and locked them all down. I grabbed two bike mounts and threw them on the crossbars in about 10 minutes. Went back into the garage and grabbed one of the rear seats and threw that in. Got my hybrid bike and threw that on top. All of this took about 20-25 minutes. Saturday morning 3 of us rode to the ride start point comfortably with two bikes up top and one in the E.

If you leave the bike mounts on the crossbars when storing it you honestly could have the whole set up on in 5 minutes. Thats what I will be doing this summer when I take the racks off. Normally I take the bike mounts off because we throw them on my wifes racks through out the year. She will not be riding this summer because of knee surgery.

The Yakima set up is so ingenius and quick that I might take the rack off and put it back on later today and have my wife shoot a few pics. It is so hassle free that it really isn't a chore at all.

·
Registered
616 Posts
gotcha. probably not a bad idea to uninstall the landing pads once a year anyhow. Keeps the screw threading clean and easy to remove. So what what are we talkin..... 8 screws and popping the OEM covers back on. I bet with a ladder maybe 15 minutes. I would only worry that popping the OEM covers in and out frequently would make them fit loose over time.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Nub removal?

serious stuff.

:)

I guess if you only use the rack once or twice a year it may be worth it.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
All the racks mount in the same basic way - remove the covers in the roof garnish, and bolt the rack to the 4 pads. With Yakima and Thule, the adapters are bought separately, and can be bolted to the car without attaching the feet and crossbars. It's been a while since I looked at the Honda instructions - the bolt 'pads' may be integral with the crossbars, though there is a separate cover over the bolts.

Overall I think the Yakima setup is simplest. After the first installation, you can remove the crossbars and control towers as a unit, and store them that way. Removing the adapters from the car would not add that much to the re-installation task.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K, after all the great responses and seeing how easy it would be to take the pads off, I am going with the Yakima. I just need to sell the Air Deflector Spoiler and my Kicker L5 sub and I can get the setup before my trip to WY. Where can I find the best priceon the setup with the air deflector? Do I need the locks? Does ORS give EOCers a discount? Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
insane_sc whatever you do, don't loose your factory pieces. My rear passenger plastic blew off, $150 to replace it. Main reason I went ahead and added my yak rack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts