Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cann you guys post some pics of the yakima rack with whatever bar length sizes you have? like the 48s, 58s and what not? thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine are 74". This is to accomomdate a primary function of the E, shuttling multiple watercraft up/down river. The E will give us a little more elbow room and a little more gear space the the P5.

It will be a pretty common occurance to have 2 canoes, 2 kayaks and a canoe, 4 kayaks or some other combination of boats up there. so the more bar I've got the better. I don't think I've knocked my noggin on 'em yet.

I don't think this looks too bad, it's all about functionality after all. Mine extend 12" on the drivers side and 15" on the passenger side to accomodate the side-mount plywood transport system.

I would also mention that the yakima mounts/dismounts VERY easily. 5 minutes to install or remove the bars...once you find the keys that is.

good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
74 is too long for me. i want to be able to hold up snowboards. anybody know the perfect length for the bars on those?

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
I have 58's and they work fine for me. I haul camping gear and often use the ends that stick out for tying off from or hanging things on. Some folks don't like the wider lengths, and I have only priase for them. I think 58's are reccomended for the rack. I use their control tower and foundation rack as well. In comparing the specs it's stronger than the Honda rack, although if you're hualing snowboards then you won't have a weight problem anyway.
Good Luck,
jurn

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Okay, I'm a bit of a 58" convert. I really wanted the shorter ones so they didn't stick out at all but got the 58" to have more flexibility (my partner might start kayaking). They don't stick out that much over the widest width of the car, just a little bit on each side over the width of the roof. I can take a pic from the top if these don't show enough for ya.

These pics also show my Yakima Space Cadet cargo box. Very handy. I didn't notice any road noise, drag, or maneuvering problems with it and was thrilled.

Attachments

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Hey Trinacook,
That's a nice cargo carrier. The dimensions are a little wider than most. Looks good, Price range??????? I've been using a Thule Quest bag for strapping lower flexibility(for profile) but I can tell I have some windshield time coming up and that setup would be good on longer trips.

I put the locks on my bars - didn't want to come out of a store someday and find everything gone.
I get pretty good service at ors racks direct. Being close delivery is quick for me.
Thanks,
jurn

·
Registered
309 Posts
58 is perfect for me at least enough to fit the basket and it not look to wierd the longer bars look off to me just like they dont belong

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
jurneez said:
Hey Trinacook,
That's a nice cargo carrier. The dimensions are a little wider than most. Looks good, Price range??????? I've been using a Thule Quest bag for strapping lower flexibility(for profile) but I can tell I have some windshield time coming up and that setup would be good on longer trips.
Yeah, I really liked the boxy style of the Space Cadet as compared to the long narrow boxes. It lists for $300 but I scored an older model from Craigslist. Based on our very short trip this weekend I would definitely recommend it! If we end up with a kayak I may wish I had the option of a narrow box plus one kayak, but until then I'm quite happy. It takes a little maneuvering to get stuff outta the far end (the hinged side), but I think the new models open from either side. To remove the box, we just took it off crossbars and all, popped the landing pad covers on and called it a night. Of course, we're lucky to have a place to store it all hooked up. :)

Thule has a boxier model as well, but the name escapes me right now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i'll get the 58s. look god and have more stability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts