Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am pleased to announce that for Christmas and my Birthday (the 27th of Dec.) this year i got the Yakima Rack, and 2 kayak attachments to go with. I then did some snooping on craigslist and came across a guy selling a Load Warrior that was a few years old for $100.00 and i was able to snag it.

It was raining pretty hard over here today so once i picked up the basket i drove to the nearest gas station by his house and put it on. I love this rack. It will make my life so much easier.

Here are some pics of the rack with all my attachments on it. Enjoy!

PS - the kayak racks work great for delivering Lumber too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
WOW:shock: So what other planets are you in contact with that antenna array? Just kidding looks great is it noisy? Can you remove most or all of it when not needed? Looks like it could be a challenge in underground garages a drivethrue. Nice color on the E;-) Drew:smile:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW:shock: So what other planets are you in contact with that antenna array? Just kidding looks great is it noisy? Can you remove most or all of it when not needed? Looks like it could be a challenge in underground garages a drivethrue. Nice color on the E;-) Drew:smile:
I need to take off the kayak attachments cause they are killing my MPG, but surprisingly enough i am still under 8' which is most car garage's first floor height anyway. And it is not noisy at all. Thats what the bungee cord is for. The road noise was one of my biggest concerns with a roof rack, and i cant hear it at all with the bungee.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The road noise was my biggest concern with a roof rack

Had the same concern with my Thule Hullavator and ATOC long bike racks. Couldn't do much about the MPH, short of taking off the racks when not in use, but Jimmy Buffett sure cured the noise issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Great looking Set up. I love to look at racks.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice, and this looked like the thread closest to my questions/concerns.

I have a OEM rack on my element (booo!). I need to carry 2 kayaks on my E & I don't think there is anyway to get 2 flat on this rack.

I'd love to just scrap it and get a yakima cross bar system...but, that's like $500 that I don't want to spend!

I have found a couple yakima kayak attachements that say they will fit directly onto the factory rack w/o addt. attachements.

They are the hull raiser aero (which is what flashbox's pics look like) & the bigstack. They are both about the same in price, the bigstack folds down when not in use, which would be nice.

It doesn't seem like carrying them vertical would be as stable as flat...is that silly to think? Has anyone had any problems carrying 2 vertically?

I just had another thought....could i just by one vertical mount and then just tie down the other to the rack...do you think that would work? I'm really trying to save money here!!

So, I guess that is more than 1 question. :) Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thanks! How do you like your basket case? What do you use it for?
2 months late.....sorry

I like it a lot, mostly good for hauling my Rubbermaid tubs when I am full interior wise. It mostly sits empty. Its good for camping equipment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice, and this looked like the thread closest to my questions/concerns.

I have a OEM rack on my element (booo!). I need to carry 2 kayaks on my E & I don't think there is anyway to get 2 flat on this rack.

I'd love to just scrap it and get a Yakima cross bar system...but, that's like $500 that I don't want to spend!

I have found a couple Yakima kayak attachments that say they will fit directly onto the factory rack w/o addt. attachments.

They are the hull raiser aero (which is what flashbox's pics look like) & the bigstack. They are both about the same in price, the bigstack folds down when not in use, which would be nice.

It doesn't seem like carrying them vertical would be as stable as flat...is that silly to think? Has anyone had any problems carrying 2 vertically?

I just had another thought....could i just by one vertical mount and then just tie down the other to the rack...do you think that would work? I'm really trying to save money here!!

So, I guess that is more than 1 question. :) Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
People carry boats vertical all the time. Either way is secure. If this is something you do often than buying a Yakima rack system is really a great option.

The Hull Raiser is more dependable than the big stack in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You could always sell your OEM rack over on the trading post, folks are always looking to buy OEM racks. Then buy the rack and the parts you want for your new rack. werD:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up buying the big stack and it worked just fine. I am going to try and attach a photo. You can't see rack, but u can see the kayaks. :)

I hope I am not hyjacking a thread, just wanted to follow up.

Thx again.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts