Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
66" is really wide. Useful for holding lots of gear but taller people may find themselves bashing their heads on the bars.

I put two kayaks side by side on the 58" bars with no problems.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There is nothing on the site for the e, if there is, please direct me.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
48" is the shortest that fits - the bar ends are only an inch or so beyond the control towers. 56" then will stick out another 4" on each side, and so on. Whether those extra inches are useful will depend, in part on why kind of kayak bracket you use.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get the 66" (or even 78") bars. You can easily cut the bars to fit with a hacksaw or a tubing cutter: it's much more difficult to stretch the tubes.

If you're going to be paddling, is there a chance you will be shuttling additional watercraft? If so, it may be beneficial to consider how you (and companions) will get up/down stream

My bars are 72" and I routinely carry 2 canoes, 1 canoe+2yaks or 4 kayaks w/yak stackers. Unless you're quite tall, I doubt you'll be cracking you're noggin on the bars. I'm 6'3" and I've only brained myself on the bars a couple of times in 4 years.

I've had 2) 20' MN3's up top a couple of times and had only an inch to spare on each side. I've also used almost every inch of the bars to transport 6 rec kayaks on yak stackers.

Enjoy,
HS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
If you're going to be paddling, is there a chance you will be shuttling additional watercraft? If so, it may be beneficial to consider how you (and companions) will get up/down stream
Totally agree. When I used to run Ozark whitewater trips I would encourage people to purchase (or build) a rack with 78" cross bars as the ability to haul two canoes makes shuttling a lot easier. Several times I had stacked three whitewater canoes on my Trooper with 78" Yakima bars.

Get the 66" (or even 78") bars. You can easily cut the bars to fit with a hacksaw or a tubing cutter: it's much more difficult to stretch the tubes.
Uh, I had a heck of a time trying to saw my 58" Yakima bars down to 48" to put on my Element. I finally gave up after an hour and two hacksaw blades and bought some new 48" bars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing on the site for the e, if there is, please direct me.
Sorry if the link didn't work, try looking under Car Racks or Yakima. It's still there.

We went with the 66"...I'm not worried about hitting the bars (I'm 5'5") but they may prove to be a hazard for my 6'7" husband ;-) and it just seems more likely that we will need the extra space then that we'd (he'd) be annoyed by ducking.

Went ahead and got the Showboat & extra set of bars so I can load the boats by myself too - can't wait to try that out!

~Kate

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got two sets, 48" and 68".

I've been known to whack my head on the long bars when they're on there, but on the other hand, it really does allow you to stack more crap on top when its neccessary. I needed the longer bars for a trip last year when I wanted to use not just a cargo box but also a basket up top to haul bulky junk.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I can fit a Thule Sidekick box and Yakima Basketcase side by side on 48" bars.

However a basket like a Loadwarrior would need wider bars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bar length for Autohome rooftop camping bed carrier

If you ever might be interested in the Autohome rooftop sleeping quarters you would want a wider stance. See: http://www.autohomeus.com/

Here are the specs:
Before placing the roofbars on the vehicle, check the bar length and attachment strength. Bar length "L" shall not be less than:
Small: 124 cm or 49 inches
Medium: 142 cm or 56 inches
Large: 165 cm or 64 inches

The Autohome carriers seem to be well-liked (if you don't have to climb down too often during the night for some reason!), but require strong after-market bars for sufficient support strength. Yakima and Thule make such.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great post. I found Yakima racks for the same 20% off right now at The Rack Warehouse and was coming here to ensure that my 48" bars would fit on the Element.

I was using a Q tower based rack setup on my Jetta (traded in towards my E) that already had 48" bars w/ 2 Yakima Hullraisers on them. I easily carried my two, 16' kayaks on 48" bars with room to spare using these "J" shaped attachments. Now that I know that 48" bars will work I'll place my order.

If you are looking for some extra length occasionally just to help rest the boat on when loading, Yakima does make an extension bar that slides in and out of the cross bars. Otherwise throwing a cheap walliworld step stool/ladder in the back my be helpful when loading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've always purchased my Yakima stuff online from Agee's Bike. They are always 20% off and free shipping on orders over $100. Great prices and fast shipping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts