Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my wife has taken over my Element EX. Strange things keep happening, dings here and there, but this has to be the tops.

Washing it the other day, I noticed a good foot of the skylight rubber seal has been pecked away, either by a squirrel or crows or both. This rubber seal can't be replaced, the wonderful engineers at Honda crimped the rubber on with metal, so now I have to buy a completely new glass skylight for $300.

I think I need to man up and take back the keys!

Anyone ever see this happening?

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Damn critters. I don't have a moon roof, but does that part move with the glass? If not you might be able to just fill it up with gasket sealer and smooth it so it looks like all one piece. Again I don't have one so I don't know how they work? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I might be wrong here, but do you park under trees?

It looks like there is seed or something along the edge of the seal...
fixing it may be expensive...fixing it again will be even more so...

I'd suggest you find somewhere else to park, or invest in a car cover.

As Toasty said, you should be able to repair that with a sealant. It doesn't look like it's damaged along the window side, so you are really only concerned with appearance. I can count on the fingers of one hand all the people I know who can see that piece of trim... :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As Toasty said, you should be able to repair that with a sealant. It doesn't look like it's damaged along the window side, so you are really only concerned with appearance. I can count on the fingers of one hand all the people I know who can see that piece of trim... :)
Get a $2.-- tube of RTV and consider it a mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I'll likely just replace the skylight, as I'm not a huge fan of the silicone goop fix, but I'll have to get my wife to park differently at work.

Only wish the gasket could be replaced....

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
blame your wife

You know if the car was hers and she let you drive it and all these strange little things happened she would be all over you for it.
so blame her!! I probably won't help but it should make you feel better.

·
Registered
873 Posts
blame the critter !!!! just like the tree that busted my tail light when my wife wasnt looking:shock: them trees are fast !!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
blame the critter !!!! just like the tree that busted my tail light when my wife wasnt looking:shock: them trees are fast !!
I have to admit I do believe in moving trees, when I go dirt bike riding in the lovely Sierra Nevada foothills I have had numerous occasions over the years when the tree's jumped right out in front of me!! Them bastards:sport022:

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
A local custom shop that installs sunroofs might be able to replace or repair the seal. Something to inquire about...... :roll::razz:

Blaming the wife just opens up a bad can of worms, just sayin'....... :roll::-:)lol::lol:

Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have to admit I do believe in moving trees, when I go dirt bike riding in the lovely Sierra Nevada foothills I have had numerous occasions over the years when the tree's jumped right out in front of me!! Them bastards:sport022:
:lol::lol::lol::lol: yup when I was around 15 I landed in the top of a tree. yes top top of a tree, a tall tree about 50+ feet. we(me and my brother were riding his honda( SL 125 his carb was junk so I had him try mine & boy what a defrence) we were going up a very steep enbankment with a sheer clif on one side with trees at the bottom when as soon as the front tire crested the top the chain broke &weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee backwords we went then he turned the wheel & off we went.well he stayed with the bike ok & that tree just reached out & grabed me up.I broke my collor bone, but if that tree wasent a great catcher I might not be hear to piss off these soellen teachers:razz: this happened ging from the beach on okinawa up to our house in ishakawa overlooking the ocean. we told my mom I cought my shirt on the door handle running out the door:shock: ( I think she knew it happened on the bike) dam I miss those days, nothing like racing on the corol & pebbell covered beach.you realy dont want to be behind:shock: helmuts whats that?? gogoles?? isant that whats on the top of old buildings??:razz: thus the brain dammage:razz::roll:8) thats my story & it's sticken to me:scooter:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the links and info, I snagged a used one on ebay......

I'd like that new one you've got for sale, suggest you keep it safe, a buyer will come by I'm sure.

Cheers everyone,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts