Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, could not find any info on "Zerex Asian" coolant.

Anyone running this stuff? my 2003 only has 61k mi on it, but I am feeling the need to change the coolant out. It is half the price of the Honda stuff.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
536 Posts
In my opinion it is a good idea to stick with OEM coolant for your E. The engine is aluminum alloy (not just the cylinder head) and the coolant reportedly has special corrosion inhibitors in it to resist corrosion. I would not take a chance using something else in the E. Also, other fluids (especially automatic transmission fluid) should not be substituted. I have almost 100K on my E and have had no issues with it except normal wear and tear items; belts, tires, brakes, etc.
Even though the OEM fluids cost a little more than off the shelf stuff it is good insurance for long component life. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree. Use the Honda coolant. I have heard other coolants can damage the seal on the water pump. Why take the chance? Just to save 2-3 bucks?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. Use the Honda coolant. I have heard other coolants can damage the seal on the water pump. Why take the chance? Just to save 2-3 bucks?
actually its $20 versus $40, but i agree, that is little cash for a little piece of mind. guess i'm going to the dealer tomorrrow and paying $40 for ONE gallon of antifreeze (and one gallon of distilled water, cuz it comes 50/50 mixed already i hear). never thought i would see the day.

jive

·
Registered
246 Posts
guess i'm going to the dealer tomorrrow and paying $40 for ONE gallon of antifreeze
We charge $14.95 for a gallon of Honda Type II Antifreeze/Coolant.

What do you pay for milk, or a gallon of gasoline in your world? Just curious, so I can know where to avoid visiting, unless I win the lottery...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

What do you pay for milk, or a gallon of gasoline in your world? Just curious, so I can know where to avoid visiting, unless I win the lottery...
Like HT said I paid around that and look at the sticky that he started about the corrosion from bad coolant and plugged heater core. Its worth getting the right stuff.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
...corrosion from bad coolant and plugged heater core. Its worth getting the right stuff.
Funny thing is, the problem seems to have been the Honda coolant. :roll:
(bad stuff from the factory.)

BTW, my loal dealer charges fifteen dollars and change for a gallon, quality aftermaket stuff (also 50/50 pre-mix) runs about $10-$12 at my FLAPS, so it is more a matter of preference or convienience than cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been using Prestone "All Make/All Model" in all my cars for years w/o issue. Even in my VW that if mixed with phos. based coolant will turn everything in the cooling system into a gel!

I also used to work for a Honda motorcycle dealer and still rarely bothered with the H 50/50. Now, IMO it's great to carry a jog around for an emergency(small enough to fit in most spare wells), but I'm talking about the 1ltr bottles.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here in Traverse City, MI ..... I guess this would be a place to avoid :)
Traverse City is NOT a place to avoid! Do the Winery tour on the Mission Penninsula and who gives a rat damn what motor vehicle anti-freeze costs.

Send me a case of '97 Pinot Noir from Chatau Chantel and some Cherry Melange from Penninsula Cellars please! :-D

becker57, how are your wheels? I just rescued a full set of take-offs from an '04 Element that were collecting dust in the parts department. My wife is headed up to Michigan this weekend to take furniture up to my future daughter-in-law who just took a job at the Hospital there in Traverse. We could do a deal....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funny

yeah, everything is expensive here, but for some reason people still flock here. I am in Maui, and a gallon or Reg gas is $3.92, a gallon of milk is $4.50, but for some reason i refuse to leave.

it's all relative though. I don't need to drive more than 3 miles to work, and my proprerty taxes are under $1000 for my house for the year.

oh yeah, and the weather beaches are nice.

Anyways, back to the coolant issue. I might do some more research on the Zerex Asian car formula before returning it and going honda. I doubt that honda motors are made of special Al alloys different than all other cars and need special coolant to keep them from corroding... but i could be wrong.

Time is on my side.

Jive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my 2007 SC new in Jan 06. It replaced a 2000 Odyssey. The Odyssey always gave me great concern during the summer months as the engine temp would increase substantially when I was in stop and go traffic a few times I thought I would blow a hose so I had to stop and let the engine cool down.

When I got the SC I did some research and found out that the more glycol you have in the coolant mix the less effective it is in transferring heat. Water by itself is the most efficient coolant. Unfortunately the coolant thermostat is quite high on newer cars as it supports the pollution equipment. Also you get special additives in modern coolants that reduce salt formations.

I live in north Florida. The lowest temperature we have seen in 15 years is 20F. So I reduced the amount of glycol to only 15% versus the normal 50% with distilled water. Then I added a bottle of Redline WaterWetter to the mix. After 61,000 miles I have never had the temperature noticeably increase in the hottest months with the a/c on. The coolant appears as clean today as it did 3 years ago. I'll change it as soon as I see even the smallest amount of residue, color change, or odor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Traverse City is NOT a place to avoid! Do the Winery tour on the Mission Penninsula and who gives a rat damn what motor vehicle anti-freeze costs.

Send me a case of '97 Pinot Noir from Chatau Chantel and some Cherry Melange from Penninsula Cellars please! :-D

becker57, how are your wheels? I just rescued a full set of take-offs from an '04 Element that were collecting dust in the parts department. My wife is headed up to Michigan this weekend to take furniture up to my future daughter-in-law who just took a job at the Hospital there in Traverse. We could do a deal....
Hillarious! Sorry I just logged in and missed the weekend deadline. My wheels are fine but I'd be pissed if I did need em' and missed the chance. So did your wife bring back some wine for you? BTW small world, I am sure your daughter in law will be happy at her new job. It's an excellent hospital.

Becca

1 - 13 of 13 Posts