Honda Element Owners Club banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
While the mount dries, I’ve been doing more research on the TPMS system differences between the Element and TL. I lucked out and was able to sync the SRS and VSA systems so I ended up not having to do any further modifications to get those systems talking to the ECU (aside from swapping the VSA modulator as talked about earlier).

I sat down to write up a conversion pin out chart like I did for the cluster. What I found is that Honda switched from initiator based TPMS systems to initiator-less systems one 2008. So the TPMS module of the Element has everything built in, and the tire pressure sensors have wake sensors that wake them up when the tire moves.

On the TL side, they didn’t switch over until later, so the 2008 TL used initiators that are installed in the wheel well, and they fire low frequency at the TPMS sensors to wake them up when the car starts.

Both systems have both k-line and low/high canbus lines running to them, but the TL has about 30 wires because of the initiator hardware being powered, grounded and monitored by the TPMS module. The Element has about 6 wires since everything is built in. So what I thought was going to be a simple re-pin and go is going to require a little more thought.

I’m going to look into when the TL went initiator-less or see if I can use the HIM to get the unit sync’d and talking to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
So my grandma called me from who knows where. " 'Sup?" she asked. I said "you know, same old same old". A bout a minute of silence followed (fortunately she was paying for the call). Finally I said "OK OK, I'll ask". She said "thanks" and rang off.

She wants to know when the J-Element is going to be done. :unsure:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
So my grandma called me from who knows where. " 'Sup?" she asked. I said "you know, same old same old". A bout a minute of silence followed (fortunately she was paying for the call). Finally I said "OK OK, I'll ask". She said "thanks" and rang off.

She wants to know when the J-Element is going to be done. :unsure:
Hah! The Element is back on the road after getting the older generation starter on last nifht. It’s not perfect but it got me to work today! Still need to shave some of the oil pan so that it lines up as perfect as possible.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Here is a clip of me driving around with a couple of gear pulls so you can hear the exhaust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
Finally got around to making a legit jumper harness to interface the Acura TL gauge cluster and bezel controls to the Element without having to hack into the dash harness.

This is how I had it installed to make sure everything worked. Had to simulate the bezel controls with a breadboard stuck to the back with some clicky buttons.

I had to desolder the connector from the Element gauge cluster because I wanted to make a true jumper harness. Nice knowing you cluster! I used a heat gun and it only took a few minutes!

I had to create harnesses for the bezel plugs, couldn’t find one for sale that had pigtails attached.

Got it all soldered up and ready for testing before finishing the harness with loom to make look nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished reading this whole thread. Is there anything you can't do?
I'm wondering if you have any guesses as to how much of this custom work would be required if doing a J35 and 2003-2006 element? All of this grinding and custom fab work and tricking computer systems sounds like a dealbreaker to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hahah thanks! There is infinitely less work to do on the first gen element. That engine is throttle cable instead of drive by wire, and no VSA.

I could have gotten away with much less grinding than I did, but didn’t want to remove the metal axle seal on the shaft, so I had to grind enough to clear it.

The kit from mini tech is more or less plug and play for the first gen element. I’m not sure how they handle engine management though.

I’m still thinking about ordering the J2K gen 2 from inlinepro to have a better adapter plate between the engine and transmission. However, I’m thinking about doing my own so I can use the 2nd and 3rd gen engines. The 07+ had a different bolt pattern since the SH-AWD systems were introduced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contacted mini-tec, sounds like they have a kit for the auto now as well. Trying to find out if all systems are still functional after the swap. Do you have any idea what your mpg is? Did you do the 6th gear mod? I'm assuming mpg would be better with the manual and 6th gear but there sure are a lot more autos for sale.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Contacted mini-tec, sounds like they have a kit for the auto now as well. Trying to find out if all systems are still functional after the swap. Do you have any idea what your mpg is? Did you do the 6th gear mod? I'm assuming mpg would be better with the manual and 6th gear but there sure are a lot more autos for sale.
Not sure what the deal is with their auto kit. Last I spoke with them, they were talking about doing an auto kit using a Pilot transmission.

Not sure what my mpg is because I drive it hard all the time lol.

I’m leaving the 5-spd trans as it is, the gearing makes this thing so fast with the super short gears. Will probably do an LSD in the future, then I’ll consider the sixth gear option.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Just finished wiring up my input shaft sensor simulator prototype. I haven’t had VTEC nor secondary intake butterflies this whole time because none of that is enabled without the two speed sensors working.

It won’t win any beauty pageants but darn it if it might simulate an input shaft sensor lol!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My grandma called me yesterday...from a Cadillac dealership. As we ended the call she said "don't tell that J Element boy that I'm here". I said I wouldn't.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts