Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
So my grandma called me last night. She's somewhere in the Far East, maybe Sri Lanka, hard to tell, it was a bad connection. "How are you?" she asked me. "Fine" I replied. A few moments of silence later "How's the J Element?" "I'll ask" I replied.
Hahahahahahah awesome! My friend is at mid Ohio racing but he’ll be back on the j Element this week. He’s going to assess the hard to get into gear before I get it back. He’s got a lift so it’s way easier to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Alright! So I got the Element back from my buddy. He had it up at his house for longer than I wanted it to be but both our schedules got hectic, but its back! The exhaust sounds AMAZING! I need to get more videos of it in action which i'll do this week!

Once he finished the exhaust he noticed what seemed to be drivetrain noise under acceleration. Didn't hear it before because I was babying it running open headers but now that the exhaust is on you can hear it. So I got it back and it sounded like a bad axle. I'm not sure how old the axles in it now are, but they're original Honda with the rubber dampers on them. I've had problems with them while reinstalling them where the joints pull apart and have to be worked back together but figured they were good. Well it turns out, that the engine was torquing pretty hard under acceleration which was offsetting the geometry of the axles causing the joints to rattle. If you remember correctly I was only using the passenger side mount from the kit to try and not have a rattle trap using the other mounts provided. Well, last night I swapped the rear transmission mount from the factory one to the one that came with the kit and the noise is completely gone!

I was never able to hammer it in first or second gear because of the noise. Didn't want to break anything, but now I can, at least to 4700rpms and the thing RIPS! The power difference between the stock K24 and the J32 is substantial!

Now that I have it back I can resume my work getting all of the electronics squared away. I have the 08' TPMS computer that i'm going to wire up so it'll stop complaining about not seeing the sensors. The Honda HDS I bought doesn't have the OBD cable that is able to communicate with the immobilizer so i'm not able to do the VIN rewrite that i'm needing to do. I still have some time before the emissions are up on the car and have been daily driving it for the last week and it is AWESOME. I'll keep posting as I make progress.

I started wiring up an auto transmission controller so I can put the car in 'D' and get more revs out of the ECU. Some of the diagnostic i've been doing with the Honda HDS requires the car to be in 'P' and without a transmission range sensor wired in I couldn't do that. Now i'm able to, so lets see how many more revs I can achieve when the car thinks its in drive!

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
wow wow wow.

congrats! I'll be thinking of you as I accelerate slowly around phoenix.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am really impressed by all this. Please keep sharing - it is fascinating to see the evolution. Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
So with the TL gauge cluster hooked up I decided to put some effort into getting the speed reporting. The 5-spd Element only had one speed sensor (output shaft sensor) which transmitted signal to the ECU and the from the ECU to the gauge cluster. The Automatic and manual TL work the same way but they use two sensors - one on the input shaft and one on the output shaft. The ECU then is able to calculate mph based on an equation between the values coming from each. The manual TL however only uses the output shaft to determine speed. Not sure why is has both sensors.

I checked the HDS and can see the output shaft sensor reporting data to the ECU. Luckily the sensor part number for the 08 Element and 08 TL are identical. What luck!

I don’t think I’ll have to worry about the other sensor once I flash the ECU to a manual program. I ordered a double board HIM interface so I can rewrite the 08 ECU. They changed the protocol so the OBD cable can access but can’t read or write in some areas. It’ll be here Monday and I’ll update more then.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
So today was a big day for the Element! I finally was able to write the original VIN from the car to the Acura TL ECU! So now when I connect the HDS to it, it reports as a 2008 Honda Element and I can now pass emissions.

What’s also awesome about that is that I can now write the manual transmission program to convert the ECU from auto to manual! I have to work with the guys at Ktuner since the software doesn’t support it out of the box. I’ve relayed the good news to them and am waiting to hear back. I’ll chime in once it’s done!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Today I’m going to be bench testing the speed sensor emulation. I’ve got a new speed sensor that I’m going to feed through a variable reluctant conditioner to get a square wave, change the frequency to match what the ECU is looking for from the second speed sensor, and then feeding it through a square to sine converter to feed it into the ECU. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
HUGE UPDATE!

So I’ve been working with the guy at Ktuner since January working towards converting my auto ECU to manual. Was waiting until I was able to rewrite the correct VIN to my ECU. Finally figured that out but had a 3.2 base ECU which never had a manual variant. So by luck I found one and was able to have it delivered today. So I wrote the Vin to that ECU as well and was able to replace it using my HDS system. I then flashed the manual transmission program over the auto program and it worked!

All of the codes from the automatic transmission were immediately gone and my HDS recognized the ECU as a manual transmission one from the type S.

That gave me an extra 1000 RPMs immediately since it wasn’t looking for the automatic transmission. I have been working to figure out why the speedometer wasn’t working and I thought it was because I didn’t have both the input and output shaft sensors. I ordered another output shaft sensor like the one I currently have in my transmission so I could bench test a solution that I had. Randomly I decided to pull out the sensor from the transmission and look what I found!

That sensor is reading from something inside the transmission so there should be no way for anything to make contact with it. I googled the issue and found somebody with a TSX that had the same exact problem. Apparently there is supposed to be a 2 mm washer that goes between the tab of the sensor and the transmission. I looked up the part and sure enough it was there. I remember removing the sensor for some reason when I was doing the swap and the washer must’ve fallen and I didn’t notice. So I put a washer in, replaced the sensor and now the speedometer works just fine!

There’s probably a lot of junk in the transmission fluid so I will probably have to flush it out. I’m just excited that the speedometer works!

Additionally, I was able to pair the new VSA modulator, yaw sensor and the new ECU. So now the VSA system is 100% and there is no triangle/exclamation symbol or VSA light on the cluster anymore! Pressing the VSA off button now enables and disables the system like it did before.

I just rolled up and down my driveway to make sure the speedometer worked but tomorrow I will be able to rev all the way to redline, use the second stage intake, and VTEC will be working! I will bring my go Pro when I go to the dump in the morning and take some video.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Today I’m going to be bench testing the speed sensor emulation. I’ve got a new speed sensor that I’m going to feed through a variable reluctant conditioner to get a square wave, change the frequency to match what the ECU is looking for from the second speed sensor, and then feeding it through a square to sine converter to feed it into the ECU. Should be a good time!

You are a magician. I’ve been thinking about how many sensors the ECU is looking for and how hard or easy it might be to trick the ECU into believeing it still has a 2.4 (as opposed to the J or maybe even an electric motor)

You are just doing it. I’m gonna have to borrow your ear someday to ask about this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Well there ended up being no VTEC. The second speed sensor is still needed. I have a plan to simulate that but first I have to deal with a problem that popped up a couple of days ago.

The starter stopped working. It spins but isn’t catching the flywheel. It started about a week ago when it would seem to have a problem starting the car. It was fine up until then. My guess is that something broke on the starter, or the shaving I had to do to it to clear the oil pan was just too much and it just failed.

So it’s back up on jack stands as I attempt to pull the starter. Not sure I have the clearance to do it without pulling the motor but I’ll soon find out!

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I was able to convince the starter to come out without too much fuss. Bench tested it and it spins but won’t come out. Not sure what’s wrong with it but I’m guessing it just didn’t like the trim I gave it.

So now I’m just going to poke around with my snake camera and check out the flywheel and clutch. I’ve been talking to the guys at Inlinepro about their J2K gen 2 kit. I might just bite the bullet and get their adapter and flywheel spacer.

Lots to think about!

·
Registered
139 Posts
So my grandma called me last night...late for me, early morning for her. She asked "has he put up a vid of the J-Element laying a patch a block long?" I said, not yet, I'll keep you posted. She said "that's good, let me know, gotta run, got a surfing lesson to get to. Ciao."

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
My dad seems to think the battery may be the culprit and that I should try it on a known food battery. A couple of weeks ago I left the damn head lights on and killed the battery. Got it jumped and home and on the charger. The battery is a few years old so that could be the problem.

I’d be okay if that WAS the issue, I’d have to shoehorn that starter back in. I would however like to check the clutch out though. I dunno

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am curious as to how difficult it is to work on this thing with the bigger engine? spark plugs and other tune up type of stuff?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I am curious as to how difficult it is to work on this thing with the bigger engine? spark plugs and other tune up type of stuff?
Good question! The spark plugs are under the coil packs but there are six instead of four. The rear ones just require a little reach. The only one I could see being an issue would be the rear coil pack closest to the driver side. Looks like it might hit the heater valve thing on the fire wall coming out.

The front coil packs have plenty of room.

The rear ones are back there and like I mentioned I might have to move the heater valve thing.

Oil changes are actually easier!

Drain bolt is here:

Oil filter is WAY MORE ACCESSIBLE than the 4 cylinder!

The transmission is in the same spot so nothing changes there.

Finally test fit the engine cover lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Well, I hooked the starter up to a strong battery and it performed as it should have. So I’m going to epoxy the case so it’s solid and throw it back in.

I also decided to throw the other mount in while I had everything apart. The stock mount was busted up pretty bad.

However after getting it mounted and everything bolted back in, I noticed that the mount is showing that it is at a slightly wrong angle. Not only that, the mount they sent was too skinny for the transmission bracket so I had to use some washers to fill the gap.

I’m going to window-weld the stock mount and probably use it. I don’t like how the mount is sitting at such an angle.

You can see the mount and how it’s at an angle. Don’t like that at all

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Alright got the stock mount full of window-weld. It’s not the best looking thing I’ve ever made but once its dry it’ll be nice and stiff.

I mangled my caulk gun after popping open a fresh tube, so I had to really muscle it to get the stuff out. Usually I’m able to stuff the tip deep in the mount and squeeze it all nice and neat in there. This time I had to squeeze some out and spread it like I was making a sandwich.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts