Honda Element Owners Club banner

pookSter's Bed for the Element (with pics)

363K views 193 replies 87 participants last post by  ph27rwg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Going camping with my new Steel Tent. As in another thread I stated that once you threw down a mattress, there is no room to stow your gear. This is what I came up with. Going for a trial run next month so I will tell ya all how I made out.

I made it out of 36 feet of ABS tubing, Various T's, and 90 deg elbows. The Tubing was all glued and screwed except for the ones that hold the center supports to the side rails. This way you can still take it apart to store it when not in use.

I found that with a good Air mattress on top, futher center supports was not needed, especially since the plastic Tote boxes are as high as the frame. I left the center supports out of the back part to allow higher storage and easier access. The mattress is rigid enough that it does not fall through without the boxes, but the boxes do add extra support.

I have documented the lenghts of all the pieces, but have not scanned it yet. If you are interested, email me and when I get it done, I will send ya a copy....Happy Camping

...PookSter

Sorry, no pics with the mattress yet but a Double Bed Mattress 54inches wide by 76 inches long by 6 inches high fits nicely

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well, I just got back from camping. My Wife and I spent almost a week in the Element, just sleeping where ever we ended up that day. Just thought I would report back on how I made out with the ABS Bed Frame. I gota tell you, it went off without a hitch.

We were very comfortable sleeping on the mattress on top of the bed frame and we had more than enough storage area. With the dark tint all way round, we didn't even need a privacy curtain. Some areas we ended up people walked right on by and didn't notice a thing.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I just picked up a couple of rubbermade totes that were about 14.5 inches tall and my cooler which is about the same height. Once you have the frame made, you can pretty much use anything that will maximize the space.

..sorry, no pics of under the frame, just the one of the mattress on top

OMG, so sorry I didn't post the plans before I disappeard. Been away for a while. I did a quick rough sketch as I couldn't find the original ones I did up. If you need any clarification, just ask and hopefully I'll get back to you a little quicker :)

This frame fits a coleman double mattress perfect. You don't have to add on any sections to put the mattress on. As you probably know, a full double will not fit in the Element length wise without the seats fully forward. When my wife and I wanted to sleep, we simply pushed the seats fully forward and then fully inflated the double mattress. In the morning when we wanted to take off, we deflated it just enough to let the seats move fully back. This worked excellent and only took 2 min each night to put that little bit of air back in. I opted for this method as we found it a pain on the first prototype to add on an extra piece for the extra 1.5 ft each night and take it off in the morning and then find a place to stow it. We found no problem with the mattress hanging over the frame towards the front as its pretty firm. We did however have a cooler below the frame at the back to prevent the mattress sag. If you were extra heavy, all the would be needed if you don't have a cooler is a thin piece of paneling the width of the frame as the mattress is pretty stiff on its own.

As you can see in the picture, the back of the frame is fully open giving you maximum storrage at the rear, and also the side storage is easily accessed from the side doors. Earlier models I made had cross braces near the rear hatch and I could not get my cooler over the pipe on the floor, so this design worked best for me. Storage height is a problem as you only have 14.5 inches under the frame. If you go too high, the mattress if above the windows.
After you dry fit the frame and all looks fine, glue and screw it together with abs cement. I did leave the side connections unglued so it can pop apart in 3 sections and lay flat for storage.

Hope you can understand my scratch :)

Discussion starter · #97 ·
paulj said:
I don't recall seeing any pictures of the pookSter style frame with storage boxes in place. This frame appears to support mostly the edges of the mattress, while depending on storage boxes for support in the middle. Its dimensions, particularly height, then should depend on your choice of boxes.

Snarf's frame uses more pipe frames, so supports the mattress by itself. However this approach breaks up the storage space. Boxes then will be harder to use, but duffles and bags should work fine.

Both are intended for a rather thick, stiff air mattress. While comfortable, it also takes up quite a bit of vertical space (5" at least).

I am guessing that getting up on this air mattress is easiest from the open tailgate. Or is entry from the open side doors easy?

paulj

I have been on a few trips since that inital voyage. If this helps, I mostly used 2 rubbermaid totes at the rear and a cooler. Along the sides it really didn't need any support, so I used low wire square baskets so I could see what was in the bins (mostly cans of food and dry goods with pans.) It seemed much easier than opeing up plastic bins to look inside. There was one trip that I didn't have room for any totes at the rear for support as I had lots of scuba gear, so I left them at home. I tested out the air mattress without the supports and it was rigid enough to even not have any rear boxes. I did have quite a heavy guy with me though, so just in case I put a 1/8 piece of panelling on the top without any supports underneath. I liked this even more than the original idea, so I use it if I bring the containers or not now

Discussion starter · #127 ·
TracyDP said:
This is a really fantastic idea, the only problem for me is that we will be traveling/camping with a child so we will have to have at least one back seat in the car. I love the platform idea but I don't think it will work for us. I'm bummed :-(
My plans come apart so it can be easily stowed along one side, while leaving a seat on the other. It would just involve a little more time everyday deflating the bed everyday.

Discussion starter · #131 ·
rintould said:
Just built the frame and was trying it out - a couple of questions. Seems the cover for where the drivers back seat cover where it hinges in has to be left off - right? Also, in order to move the seats back for driving means the air mattress has to be deflated every day - is that right?
I know when I was designing mine, I chose not to make the frame hinged to extend beyond the floor supports behind the seats as there really is no reason to do it. This just adds an extra step in the morning to get going and if there is anything on the bed you have to clear it off. The mattress that extends beyond the floor frame towards the seats is stiff enough when inflated and is such a short distance that you really need nothing under it.
In the morning, all I do is deflate ONLY enough so that the seats return to the full back position, then at night it is a matter of reinflating for about 45 seconds to get back to the night position with the seats forward.

Discussion starter · #134 ·
rintould said:
Thanks PookSter for those hints - makes sense. The other question I had is about the extension just inside the back door on the drivers side which I assume is there so when getting in (and from what I read that is the side to access the bed from) you have something firm to get up on the mattress on. After taking the seats out I put the covers back over the side connections the seat flips up out of the way on but had to remove the one on the drivers side as it wouldn't fit. Do most of you just leave those off when bedding?
I just take the seats out. I leave everything else where it is. When my wife and I crawl in, we tend to crawl in doors closest to the back, thus not needing supports. Our heads are always under the sunroof...lots of fresh air

Discussion starter · #145 · (Edited)
Looks like I should log in once and a while :) . Sorry about the pictures disappearing. I'll see if I can find them and put them back up since there still seems to be a demand for my design. I never ever would charge for them, so no paypal is necessary.

EDIT;
I rehosted all the pics and plans and I am just waiting for the Mods of the site to edit my posts to reflect the changes. I also uploaded the pics of the sunroof screen I made that some people requested.
...pookSter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.