Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The idea is to drill a hole just large enough for you to stick your finger in, and move the latching mechanism inside the door. I believe 1" is about right, depending on whether you want to line the hole with a grommet of some sort.

I can't, offhand, give the exact location. I'd suggest taking off the inside trim, and identifying the mechanism that you need to move. As I recall, I had to cut a way a bit of the white 'fluff' on the inside of the trim. So we are talking about a spot on the center line, a couple of inches from the edge.

The more elaborate approach is to attach a cable (like a bicycle brake cable) to the mechanism, and mounting a pull handle off to the side.

paulj

·
Registered
250 Posts
I built a bedframe from Snarf's plans and it works perfectly. I havne't used it in awhile, so I'm selling it for $30 plus $20 shipping.

I spent $70 on parts and it took at long time to build it. So, save yourself the hassle!

let me know.

B

·
Registered
783 Posts
I built a bedframe from Snarf's plans and it works perfectly. I havne't used it in awhile, so I'm selling it for $30 plus $20 shipping.

I spent $70 on parts and it took at long time to build it. So, save yourself the hassle!

let me know.

B
You should put it in the Trading post section! I have to say, I like those plans...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Looks like I should log in once and a while :) . Sorry about the pictures disappearing. I'll see if I can find them and put them back up since there still seems to be a demand for my design. I never ever would charge for them, so no paypal is necessary.

EDIT;
I rehosted all the pics and plans and I am just waiting for the Mods of the site to edit my posts to reflect the changes. I also uploaded the pics of the sunroof screen I made that some people requested.
...pookSter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there any chance someone could update the plans for this? I'm buying my E next Tuesday and I have less than 24 hours to build a platform, stuff the hold and load up the dogs before a 3000 mile road trip, and this frame looks like the perfect project for it!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agree on not a good way to break it in. If you're on interstates turn off every now and again and drive at differnt speeds for a while. 2 lane blacktop is more fun anyway.
On that subject I'll be moving from N.VA to Phoenix in June. I'll be driving the E out with some stuff I don't want to have the mover to mess with. I hope I take my advise and vary the driving so I can stay awake. No way around Texas though.
se

·
Registered
20 Posts
I mean that the only photos that remain visible in the 15 pages of posts are Lefty's and the same can be said about the various links to sites or downloads. I can kind of fake it off of the photos, but I was planning on having my father in law begin the plans before we head out there so that all we have to do is fine-tune it when we arrive.

Trust me, if I could avoid breaking it in that way I would. We moved out here to Maine for a job that was arranged before my last Element, a gorgeous 08 Kiwi, was totaled in a car wreck just before Christmas. That left us without a way here short of flying and we had to leave our pets in Idaho.

Now, the longest amount of time I can get off is a week and if we don't get our kids here with us soon, my wife and I are going to go crazy! If I could, I'd fly them to us, but flying 2 cats, a Newfoundland and a Great Pyrenees is pretty much impossible.

We are planning to stop very frequently however, as one of our dogs has never travelled long distances, so we plan to walk him every hour or so, and I avoid highways as much as humanly possible (My GPS hates me)

·
Registered
20 Posts
How excellent! thank you SO much, RamblerDan! These are exactly what we're looking for, especially the ones integrating the front seats. The one with pipes and board look like just the thing for a quick build ahead of time that will be strong enough for my boys.

Man, this is exciting. I've had Elements since they first rolled off the lines and I've always wanted to, but never made a mod like this.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I've always been intrigued by the concept of sleeping platforms, but unwilling to put in the work to build one without more confidence that I'd be comfortable and able to get in and out of the Element without a ladder.

Yesterday I had an unexpected chance to try a "mockup", using an alternative I hadn't ever considered. This is much more comfortable than the standard seats, the height provides more length than a mattress on the floor, and the height, while higher than I prefer, is workable. The worst part will be stretching to open the front door so I can open the rear passenger door.

A set of half-width modular platforms is now on my project list for the summer. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
PSS...

I think i dig your style (See: SNL: best of will ferrel [i think])

I would secure that thing to the floor using a rediculous amount of bungee chords using the rear seat floor mounts as anchor points..

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Psschmied, how do you plan to secure the seat to the floor? Try the dog-leash method.
You mean use a dog leash to pull the front door release handle?

I have no plan to use a rocker/recliner as a sleeping platform in my Element. This was just an opportunity to evaluate the effect of a raised platform without building one. The recliner is too unstable, bulky and heavy to be a safe, practical solution, even if anchored, but it sure is comfortable.

The sales clerk was surprised that the recliner fit so easily in the Element. When we got it home yesterday home my wife said, "It looks like you could sit in it right where it is", so I tried it. By doing so, I proved to myself that there was more than enough room for me to sleep flat on my back in half the width behind the front seat using a raised support.

I am going to take a careful look at how it the chair uses padding to achieve comfort, as the cushioning is much thinner than a standard air mattress.

As I said, I plan to construct a modular raised platform, possibly using some of the folding capabilities of a recliner, and will probably anchor it to the floor using the standard seat loops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hilarious! I just returned from a road trip with my husband and friend in my Element. 1/2 way through VA, my friend started dreaming up mods for the Element - including a lazy boy chair in the back. :grin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Platform / Bed Frame

With RamblerDan's help, I just figured out how to load images. Here's my platform bed. I've cut the plywood section directly behind the front seats in two so one person can sleep while the other drives. The whole thing breaks down quickly and fits in a large stuff-sack. We travel with the back two sections installed. Four 11" tall Rubbermaid tubs hold our gear underneath. I move our cooler to the front passenger seat because we usually camp in grizzly country. We sleep on 2 Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe mats. Better than our bed at home and I use them for winter camping when I sleep outside.
http://www.altrec.com/exped/downmat-9-deluxe-sleeping-pad

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Platform / Bed Frame

The inner hatch release is a must. After a few beers around the campfire, it's a long way to the passenger door in the middle of the night.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts