Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
nicely done, now i know if this ever happens to me i need to go to a dealer, this is just the type of thing i would f-up beyond repair, though i have only actually put the key in my drivers door lock once as my E came with keyless entry

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, most locksmiths have compatible wafers for sale?
Thanks
Maybe, maybe not. A complete stranger walking into a locksmith shop asking for lock wafers will most likely get some strange looks. It may actually be easier to get them from a dealer, once you explain the situation.

Hypothetically speaking, if I wasn't familiar with this I would be very reluctant to sell them to someone. I would most likely offer to do it for them. If they wanted to save $$$ I would suggest they remove the lock and bring it to me. I would then re-pin it for a small fee.

Pierre

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just out of curiosity though, is there a way to prevent this from happening? Graphite lube? Some other sort of lube? Use the lock a lot? Never use it?
Prevent, no... delay, yes. There are many opinions out there, mine happens to be good ol WD40. I have 172k mi, no remote entry, all my locks work and my key is not worn at all. I also prefer it because when I'm working on a lock it cleans it very well and makes my job a lot easier. I know they sell graphite as a lock lubricant but every car lock I've ever seen that someone put graphite in has been ruined. I don't really know why, It's just what I've seen. It may have something to do with the quality of the powder. Wikipedia mentions graphite as a lubricant and it says having low-grit or no-grit (ultra high purity) is desirable, that leads me to believe if the quality is not there it will act like sandpaper. I am not willing to take that chance.

In general I see the most problems from cars that live near the ocean, on construction sites and dirt roads. I imagine if I lived up north I would also see problems from the salt on the roads but it doesn't snow here. The key is protecting the metal parts from moisture, corrosives (salt), and contaminates (dirt). Oil based spray lubricants take care of the first two and repetition takes care of the last.

Pierre

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door Panel

Hey, this is a great thread Locksmith. Thanks a lot for the help. This problem has been killing me on my '03 E. I was wondering, how easy is it to take off the door panel, to get to the lock? I want to attempt to do this myself, but I def dont want to screw it up. If you could just please give some kind of direction on how to begin removing the door panel, that would be greatly appreciated!

My dealer told me it would cost me $160 to replace the key cylinder, so I think I'll give it a go myself before I throw that much money down. Also, do you know about how much it costs to replace the wafers?

Thanks a lot Locksmith!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was wondering, how easy is it to take off the door panel, to get to the lock? I want to attempt to do this myself, but I def dont want to screw it up. If you could just please give some kind of direction on how to begin removing the door panel, that would be greatly appreciated!
I thought about writing out the directions but since a picture is worth a thousand words I figured I'd do a DIY on it. I'm going out of town this weekend to visit relatives and with Christmas and all I'll have to get to it next week. Look for it in the "do it yourself / mods" section, hopefully by next weekend. When it's done I'll link to it in this thread.

Pierre

·
Registered
39 Posts
door lock blues

Thanks to 'the locksmith' for the great post on the locks. I had both door locks replaced under warantee. Now at 150,000 km I am passed that and the drivers side is stuck again. The E has usually been parked within 100 yards of the ocean but clearly something is wrong with these locks. The locks on my Volvo and Morris Minor before that always responded to a little WD 40 and never needed a lock replacement. Is this related to the more complex wafer mechanism? My dealer wants $350 for a replaced lock so I will be following 'locksmith's' instructions. I'll post my results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks to 'the locksmith' for the great post on the locks. I had both door locks replaced under warantee. Now at 150,000 km I am passed that and the drivers side is stuck again. The E has usually been parked within 100 yards of the ocean but clearly something is wrong with these locks. The locks on my Volvo and Morris Minor before that always responded to a little WD 40 and never needed a lock replacement. Is this related to the more complex wafer mechanism? My dealer wants $350 for a replaced lock so I will be following 'locksmith's' instructions. I'll post my results. Thanks again.
You're quite welcome. Just curious, had you used any kind of lube in the locks or did you wait till you noticed a problem to spray WD in there? Do you have keyless entry or do you always use your key in the door? I was wondering cause if you have kept the lock lubed, all the advice in the world ain't worth a hill o' beans if it breaks anyway.

Pierre

·
Registered
39 Posts
locks

Unfortunately I have only responded to problems with the WD 40. I will now have a regular lube program. I don't have keyless entry. Is this lock style more likely to fail than the old pin style locks?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Then your situation holds true with what I've seen, salt air + bare metal = bad news. I have mentioned it before, Honda locks are among the best out there. I've been locksmithing since 1994 and I've replaced (I think) 4 Honda locks. Compare this to others cars that we see many times a week for the same problem. Ford designed a lock for the Focus, Contour, Mystique and Escape that was garbage. They have since quit using it but no matter what you did you were guaranteed to have ignition problems around 40k to 60k miles. Chrysler has a design that is very susceptible to debris building up in the ignition and causing it to fail at about the same time. Every manufacturer has unique lock issues but if you lube your Honda lock every once in a while I honestly believe it will outlast the car. The 4-track system that the E uses is still kinda young so I may change mind but so far the only problems I've seen are from locks that were not lubed.

Pierre

P.S. I am working on the door panel DIY right now and it will be up later today.

Finis

·
Registered
39 Posts
locks

Finally found a locksmith with the 'wafers'. He suggested that it is usually the first 1/2 wafer that is stuck and he throws it away. He doesn't think it is of any use. He doesn't replace it. His second suggestion was to check the other wafers for burrs, and if found flatten on some fine sand paper. In most of the Honda 'high security' locks which he has seen this has been all that is needed. Does any of this jibe with your experience?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ummmm... nah I don't think so. I did that when I was new and had no other choice but not now. Look at the 3rd pic in post #4, granted this is just one case out of ??? but the culprit was the 4th one in. It is more likely to be one of the first but you never know. Way I see it is if one of the wafers has worn out then another is soon to follow. If you're gonna go to all that trouble, take 5 minutes and replace em all. Would you drive to the store for one beer or buy a 6-pack since you're already there?

Pierre

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Locksmith for the great instructions/photos etc. This is one of several
issues I'm having with my 2003 Element EX (and why I found this site!). TODAY
I went to my local Honda dealer to see if those U shaped metal pieces were
available from Honda. They said that for the 2003 they are no longer available
but a complete lock is available for about $40. (It would be another different
key to boot). I'll check with a local locksmith later on but wanted to time/date
this info so others won't waste the time with their Honda dealer on it again for
a 2003. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That cracks me up, no longer available for the 03's. They're all the same. If you have no luck finding them locally you can get them from Majestic Honda. The tumblers are sold separately in bags of 10, part #'s 20766 through 20771. That would be plenty to service one persons lock for quite a while. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a bag of springs too, #20765. When those little boogers go flying you need some good eyes and a lot of patience. So, for $23.27 + shipping you can fix it yourself.

Oddly enough, the only way I found the key cylinder kit was by choosing an '03 but like I said they're all the same.

Pierre

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Element&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+2WD&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=KEY+CYLINDER+KIT

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
That cracks me up, no longer available for the 03's. They're all the same. If you have no luck finding them locally you can get them from Majestic Honda. The tumblers are sold separately in bags of 10, part #'s 20766 through 20771. That would be plenty to service one persons lock for quite a while. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a bag of springs too, #20765. When those little boogers go flying you need some good eyes and a lot of patience. So, for $23.27 + shipping you can fix it yourself.

Oddly enough, the only way I found the key cylinder kit was by choosing an '03 but like I said they're all the same.

Pierre

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Element&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+2WD&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=KEY+CYLINDER+KIT

Pierre have you actually ordered these from Majestic?

If you look at the diagram it shows the old syle tumblers....not the new style tumblers. I checked out an 88 Civic on majestics site and came up with same part numbers. Majestic has made a mistake on the Element listing.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KL4AT&catcgry5=KEY+CYLINDER+KIT

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey good eye. No I haven't ordered them, I've got my own pinning kit. I went through some other Honda's that use the 4-track key and couldn't find any other part #'s. I'm tempted to call em on Monday and see if they would sell the right ones.

Pierre

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm mechanically inclined but have never messed with insides of locks. All those
little springs inside (and my declining eyesight) make me think replacement might be the way to go. I'm still researching the options but Honda will sell the lock and a key that is different from the rest of my locks for $40 and a local locksmith will fit the new lock to my key for $37...so that's $77 without installing it! Thus far I've gotten by with powdered graphite on the key and careful wiggling. I'll keep that up as long as I can (especially since reading that some
have replaced their locks multiple times!). Cudos to all those that help with
this invaluable site!

21 - 40 of 204 Posts