Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
bh241, I know there have been some who did the DRL's a while back and I was wondering, their have been some talking of a mod party at the meet. For those who might want to do this, what should they bring off the top of your head? I mean a quick short list as not to go back into the thread where they (maybe my lazy butt) could compile the parts and have them on hand, just in case the experts who have mastered this can lend a helping hand.

Peace!

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes and no. The yes part, it could be modded to work that way - the no part, I have not done that.

The closest to that would be the DRL-lite as described in post 13 this mod turns the low beam headlights on when the ignition is in the RUN or 'II' position. It's a really quick and easy way to achieve DRL. This mod only turns the headlights on, not the parking or dash lights. There have been documented problems with trying to reset the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED indicator when the parking lights are on. So for that reason, I chose not to go that route. It has other drawbacks though that are explained in the post.
That's probably just as well, the DRL -Lite. Still don't understand why more cars don't have an auto shutoff...especially if they're puttin' s dinky battery in there.

Thanks for all your effort and info here, it's tremendous!

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes and no. The yes part, it could be modded to work that way - the no part, I have not done that.

The closest to that would be the DRL-lite as described in post 13 this mod turns the low beam headlights on when the ignition is in the RUN or 'II' position. It's a really quick and easy way to achieve DRL. This mod only turns the headlights on, not the parking or dash lights. There have been documented problems with trying to reset the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED indicator when the parking lights are on. So for that reason, I chose not to go that route. It has other drawbacks though that are explained in the post.

Oh, which part of the full DRL mod pertains to the parking brake shut off?

Lite with PB shut off...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
bh241, I know there have been some who did the DRL's a while back and I was wondering, their have been some talking of a mod party at the meet. For those who might want to do this, what should they bring off the top of your head? I mean a quick short list as not to go back into the thread where they (maybe my lazy butt) could compile the parts and have them on hand, just in case the experts who have mastered this can lend a helping hand.

Peace!
In all honesty, I would make up as much of this before hand on a bench or something. I built a small circuit board up to hold the bulk of the mod.

Don't get me wrong, It could be be done at a mod meet - I personally would not want to attempt it unless I had access to the garage. There would just seem to me to be too many distractions and I feel you would be pressed for time - both of which are bad things when you're modifying a wiring harness.

Anyone who want to attempt it, take a look-see at post #1 it has all the required parts listed. I'll help ** IF ** I have the time... know what I mean?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Oh, which part of the full DRL mod pertains to the parking brake shut off?

Lite with PB shut off...
It could be done, but again, It gets back to redesigning the circuit. If you want to go the DRL-lite route, just put a SPST toggle switch between the relay coil and the 'V" connector. flip the switch and the thing goes off.

the whole DRL-lite circuit was to be 'quick and easy'

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK,

So I am looking at this Mod, and then I was reminded after my girlfriend was driving it and forgot to turn the headlights off until we were already several feet away, that having a Saab with automatic headlights for the past 6 years creates some bad habits. I want to do DRL, but am also afraid that DRL, without auto-on headlights, leads to that potential of driving in low-light with just the DRL, so in an all-black E, visibility could be poor (don't want someone to hit me). Auto-on I am sure would add a whole extra layer of complexity to something that is a bit over my head.

In doing a search for auto-on, I noticed that auto-off headlights have been brought up a few times and shot down without fully-entertaining the concept, but realizing that auto-off could fix my fears if the headlights would just turn off with the key so I still have the ability for regular parking lights and full off lights, but can just leave the headlights on most of the time and not worry about night-driving. I have no problem with needing the keys in the ignition to have the headlights on, so it would be no real loss to me.

In all these schematics, I feel I could figure out which few wires to splice to accomplish an auto-off feature for all lights (when in an on-position on the indicator), but I am not that good with schematics, so I ask, what would the trick be to have the headlights turn off with the key?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I want to do DRL, but am also afraid that DRL, without auto-on headlights, leads to that potential of driving in low-light with just the DRL
The DRL mod only turns on the high beam headlamps, no dash, or running lights. When it gets dark out, you are very aware that you do not have your lights on.

but realizing that auto-off could fix my fears if the headlights would just turn off with the key so I still have the ability for regular parking lights and full off lights, but can just leave the headlights on most of the time and not worry about night-driving.
Honestly, I think the DRL mod does what you're asking. The lights come on automatically and go off automatically. You don't have to do anything at all. Plus, the normal function of the lights is not altered in any way. When you want / need lights, just flip the switch. It works exactly like the OEM lights do. No tricks, no problem.

In all these schematics, I feel I could figure out which few wires to splice to accomplish an auto-off feature for all lights (when in an on-position on the indicator), but I am not that good with schematics, so I ask, what would the trick be to have the headlights turn off with the key?
The biggest reason I can think of is the fact that the 'maintenance reminder' won't reset if the parking / dash lights are on. I can see people going nuts and complaining already... :roll: Plus, I do think it would involve more 'rewiring' than most people would want to do.

But, I'll take a look-see and try and come up with a reasonable way to do it, it may be a while though. "Free Time" isn't in abundance right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks much for the response,

You bring up some good points. Going to use the relay from the rear-12V always-on mod to do the low-light DRL for the time being to see if that accomplishes my desires before trying something different or doing the full-out partial-highbeam DRL.

You know your stuff and do good work, thanks much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i did a different version of DRL's

i installed a bull bar a while ago. i slapped on a couple of cheap fog lights, bought a 4 pin relay from radio shack. tapped into the parking lights 12v. with the relay and wired the fogs up so that every time i turn the parking lights on, the fogs come on. i used to turn the parking lights on as DRL's till i did the fogs. it works great, also since the parking lights flash when you arm and disarm the car, the fogs flash too! its great, b/c it gets attention, also helps light the way. any questions about it, PM me.
fogs $20
4 pin relay(12v) ~ $6-8
some wire 12-14 gauge
electrical tape
zip ties
a voltage meter if you don't have directions(use this to figure out which wire in the plug is off normally, then on at 12v when you turn the parking lights on.

since i use a relay, it draws little power away from the parking lights and gets it's own power from the battery. :grin:

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Eric,

The original circuit design is using two types of relays. Two low current relays (relay 1 and 2) and three high current relays (relay 3, 4, and 5) (typical automotive relays).

Relays 3 and 4 can be normally closed contacts; however, relay 5 must be SPDT (single pole double throw). Relay 5 is modifying the connection to the left headlight, basically disconnecting the +12v and connecting it to ground instead.

Relay #1 can be a normally closed relay but relay #2 must be a normally open relay. (or just use SPDT relays for both of these)

You can (and some people have) use standard automotive relays for all five if you want. If you're so inclined you can use NC relays for #1, 3, and 4. SPDT for #2 and 5.

Personally if I were going that route, I would just use 5 SPDT relays and not worry with it.

See this post for more information.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bh241...

im gunna do the mod the "lite" way as seen in your post here =
http://elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=451053&postcount=13
id prefer the low beams on always BUT IF i did want to cut the low beams off for... lets say sneeking down and alley:wink:
all i would have to do is have a switch on the last leg of the BLUE GROUND wire correct?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
im gunna do the mod the "lite" way
< snip >
all i would have to do is have a switch on the last leg of the BLUE GROUND wire correct?
Yep, or the orange wire - either one.

Happy sneekin' :???:

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
218 Posts
a few pictures of my "lite" mod

Links you should reference
Original Post by BH241 for "lite" mod
"rear socket always on mod" - a good place to get the extra relay and a VERY simple mod (link is to page 2 that shows more info about the mod)

first little tip:
you will need to push your finger in the "hole" here to pop out the plug to get behind the glove box (one on each side)

Inside you will see: there will be a relay where my jumper is this shows how to turn on the rear socket always hold onto this relay to use for the "lite" mod ALSO you will have to really pull on the relay mine didnt come out to willingly

Connection for v3: goes to WHITE wire on the relay in below photo

Connection for BLUE wire with RED strip: is VIOLET wire or "right pin" on my relay picture

This is the relay: the white wire from here will go pluged into the number 2 connection in the picture with V3

Here is the popular grounding spot: for "top pin" and "middle pin" on the relay

hope it helps took about 30 mins to do both mods, only question is, should the relay get warm to my touch?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
DRL's done

My good friend Fred did this and I finally have working DRL's. We did run into a few snags on the way... we ended up not using the "Relay 1" that goes in the dash to hook everything. I'm not much of the digital electronics guy anymore, that's why I had my good friend Fred tackle this with me. Instead, we used an on/off switch (placed it on the shifter panel opposite of the Emergency light button), when the DRL switch is on the 'on' position, the car will have DRL's enabled. When we turn the DRL switch 'off', the hi-beams will function. I can ask him what we did to revise the SC diagram if you wish... We did blow a few fuses along the way. Here are some pics:

Big thanks to BH241 for the initial diagram, my buddy was amazed when he read the entire instructions.

Daytime Running Lights for the Honda Element SC

·
Registered
523 Posts
wow, overwhelming. I would like to know if anyone with an SC can tell me the parts I would need and the idiot proof directions to get me through. Awesome right up BH!

41 - 60 of 100 Posts