Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I would like to know if anyone with an SC can tell me the parts I would need and the idiot proof directions to get me through.
5 automotive relays, two diodes (1N4004 or equiv.), a bit of wire and some time.

It's all documented in this post (note this is for the SC only.)

Take your time, follow the directions and you'll be fine. ;-)

·
Registered
523 Posts
5 automotive relays, two diodes (1N4004 or equiv.), a bit of wire and some time.

It's all documented in this post (note this is for the SC only.)

Take your time, follow the directions and you'll be fine. ;-)
I read that entire post prior to commenting. What exactly are those top two pictures of? I work best with real pictures, sorry for not grasping it. Still could use help, not in any rush though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DRL-Lite - What gauge wire to use?

Plan on doing the "DRL - Lite" mod after doing the "socket always on mod" and was wondering if it was OK to use the same 16-18 gauge wire, or if something beefier was needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Using the smaller gauge wire isn't a problem at all. The circuit we're modifying is just the headlight relays - not the headlights themselves.

Actually the relay from the 'always on mod' is overkill for this situation. But it's 'free'. ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worked like a charm! The blue wire with the red stripe was a bit of a pain to get to, but worth it. Now I just have to remember NOT to turn the lights on when I get in the car! :grin: Thanks again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
sleepy thread?

I know this thread has been inactive for a bit, but I didn't want to start a new one for a question I have.

In the original diagrams, what exactly is making the highbeams come on at reduced power? I don't know enough about the lighting circuit to come up with an answer of my own.

But I am definitely going to do a DRL mod with Hella Angel eye foglights and I'd like to include the highbeams as long as they are at a reduced power level.

I just don't see how that is happening without some sort of resistive circuit or some other way to physically reduce the voltage to the lamps.

Thanks for your time

D

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The way the circuit works is by rearranging the layout. All we're doing is placing both lights (high beams) in series and placing the 12vdc source at one end and ground on the other.

Basically we take the ground connection loose on one bulb and connect it to the other bulb. Leaving one bulb with the 12vdc source and the other bulb with the ground source. In other words, we changed the circuit from a parallel configuration to a series configuration.

The net result is we're placing half voltage on each bulb since there are two bulbs instead of one. When the DRL is off (light switch on) the circuit is returned to normal that is each bulb has 12vdc on one end of the filament and ground on the other.

Clear as mud now?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just read the entire forum, my question is isn't there an easy way to have the low beams turn on automatically instead of having the halfpowered high beams? Like splicing the left light switch with a relay to an accessory wire? Or an easier way would be to run a wire from RL7 (underhood relay) to an accessory wire? That way the mod only requires one wire and that's it.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Just read the entire forum, my question is isn't there an easy way to have the low beams turn on automatically instead of having the halfpowered high beams? Like splicing the left light switch with a relay to an accessory wire? Or an easier way would be to run a wire from RL7 (underhood relay) to an accessory wire? That way the mod only requires one wire and that's it.
You might want to look at the DRL-lite mod, it's probably more what you're looking for. See post #13

It is about the easiest way I know to do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ah I see what he was getting at. I thought he was still talking about halfpowering the high beams but he's just automating the lights with the car.

Well that was exactly what I was trying to refer to! lol, the way he did it actually would be workable with HIDs wouldn't you think?

And another question his mod does not turn on the dash lights does it? It's just for the headlights and that's it?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Ah I see what he was getting at. I thought he was still talking about halfpowering the high beams but he's just automating the lights with the car.

Well that was exactly what I was trying to refer to! lol, the way he did it actually would be workable with HIDs wouldn't you think?

And another question his mod does not turn on the dash lights does it? It's just for the headlights and that's it?
None of the DRL Mods (original, SC, or the Lite) I have posted in this thread turn on the dash or parking lights. They are all totally automatic - you don't have to do anything after the initial install.

They only turn the lights on when the ignition switch is in the 'RUN' position, the lights are off in the 'START' position and of course the 'OFF' position.

I think it was around '08 (maybe '07 ??) that the dash lights were reconfigured to come on when the E is running so of course in that situation the dash lights WILL be on - but it's not due to this mod. On those model years it might be better to do something entirely different - something more in the line of turning all the lights on in order to eliminate the possibility of 'forgetting' to actually turn the lights on when it gets dark...

All the 'lite' version does is turn on the headlight relays to send power to the headlights. The position of the headlight switch will determine if it's the high or low beams that are active. But to answer your question, yes it should work just fine with HID's - depending on how they are wired of course. ;-)

Honestly, this mod works well, I've had mine running this mod for over three years now, no issues - still running the original headlights... :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. Where would the manual light switch be located? My goal was to automate the headlights and gauges.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks for the detailed response. Where would the manual light switch be located? My goal was to automate the headlights and gauges.
The easiest solution that pops to mind to me would be to do basically the same thing as outlined in post #13 but instead of turning on the headlight relays control the ground connection of the headlight switch.

In other words, take the black wire that is connected to pin #12 of the switch, cut it and place it in the NO (normally open) position of a standard automotive relay (30 to 40 amp rating) and wire the coil in exactly the same as in post #13.

Then if one simply put the headlight switch in the 'ON' position and leaves it there, the relay would energize when the ignition switch is in the 'RUN' position and complete the ground circuit - effectively turning on all the lights. Of course, once the ignition switch is turned off, the lights would automatically go out. Personally I would recommend placing a high current rated toggle switch across the relay contacts in order to by-pass the 'auto lights' function because I'm certain there will be a situation where one would want to be able to use the lights without the ignition being turned on.... :|

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is my setup right now. I have interior light bars attached to my right headlight (when I turn the headlight switch on, the interior lights up). I want my headlights to turn on but I only want my interior light bars to turn on when it's dark. Should I wire it like post 13 and put a photoresistor onto another relay?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Here is my setup right now. I have interior light bars attached to my right headlight (when I turn the headlight switch on, the interior lights up). I want my headlights to turn on but I only want my interior light bars to turn on when it's dark. Should I wire it like post 13 and put a photoresistor onto another relay?
Depends on how you turn the lights on. If you do the normal DRL setup (as in post #1) or the DRL-lite (post #13) then what I would do is simply power the interior light bars from the V4 terminal (add an inline fuse to meet the requirements of the lights) - it's the pin on the far right of the 'V' terminal in the UDFR box. It will have +12v on it only when the headlight switch is turned on (dash /parking lights) the DRL mod doesn't alter this circuit so it won't trigger the lights on at all.

That way you'll have the DRL (either half-bright or full on) anytime the ignition is in the 'RUN' position, and the interior light bar on only when the switch is turned on.

I'm a big fan of simple... ;-)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alright so I just wired it up according to post 13 and it works like a charm but I have my light bars turning on. Maybe I should remove the add-a-fuse that its connected to from under the hood and rewire it to the v4 of the under the dash like you said? v4 is directly linked to the light switch is that correct?

The easiest solution that pops to mind to me would be to do basically the same thing as outlined in post #13 but instead of turning on the headlight relays control the ground connection of the headlight switch.

In other words, take the black wire that is connected to pin #12 of the switch, cut it and place it in the NO (normally open) position of a standard automotive relay (30 to 40 amp rating) and wire the coil in exactly the same as in post #13.

Then if one simply put the headlight switch in the 'ON' position and leaves it there, the relay would energize when the ignition switch is in the 'RUN' position and complete the ground circuit - effectively turning on all the lights. Of course, once the ignition switch is turned off, the lights would automatically go out. Personally I would recommend placing a high current rated toggle switch across the relay contacts in order to by-pass the 'auto lights' function because I'm certain there will be a situation where one would want to be able to use the lights without the ignition being turned on.... :|

Where is pin # 12?
I'm assuming pin#12 is the hot wire of the light switch? And if so would it be more effective to wire splice it so you don't lose the switch itself when the engines not on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok so I setup my lights to post #13 and wired my interior light bars to V4 with an inline fuse and it works! Headlights auto turn on when car is started and when it gets dark out I flip the light switch (turn on headlights) and my gauges and light bars turn on. I think I might keep this setup.

Oh while I was messing around with the wiring, I found that if you splice a wire to the blue/red strips on the F connector with V3 and V4, the headlights/gauges turn on when you start your car. No need for relay for those who want these two things to turn on when you start your car!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts