Honda Element Owners Club banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
New radio with a small problem

I'm so glad this thread is active. Long explanation below, but my simple question is: If I use the Metra 70-7863 harness in my 05EX with a new Pioneer HU that has a 3rd set of RCAs marked SW will I be able to use the SW controls that are built into the HU without adding any other parts?

And the long... I read through this and the Metra 70-7863 threads, but due to my ignorance of the subject am still not sure what I need to do to get control over the sub woofer. Because of my timidity when it comes to ripping parts off my Ellie I went to a local car stereo shop and over paid for a Pioneer DEH-X6700BS, a low-end single-din radio, but the shop used a different harness and claims that there isn't a harness made that will allow "any new radio" to control the stock SW. They pointed out that they did get the SW to work with the other speakers and all other features of the new HU; AM/FM radio, satellite, BT phone and audio all work. They said that if I wanted a SW with any new radio, I would have to buy an aftermarket SW and amp. They weren't pushy on the subject (I got the feeling they couldn't figure out why a senior citizen needed a SW). They were nice enough to leave the plastic trim loose (so I can replace one of the heater bulbs) so it would be easy enough for me to replace their harness with a Metra 70-7863 if that simple switch would solve my SW issue. Help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just installed a Pioneer 4100 next in my 03 ex yesterday. I used the Scosche bezel/bracket. It looks nice, with no gaps, but whenever I click any of the eject buttons, to try and load a disk pop off the face, the face hits the bezel as the unit tries to tilt it out. So I can't get my face off or load media.

Any recommendations for people who have run into this same issue?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
It looks nice, with no gaps, but whenever I click any of the eject buttons, to try and load a disk pop off the face, the face hits the bezel as the unit tries to tilt it out. So I can't get my face off or load media.

Any recommendations for people who have run into this same issue?
Sounds like you need a gap at that hinge. Do you have access to a belt sander? I modified my trim with a bench grinder and it looks alright. ( modification is also mostly hidden though ) Belt sander would have been easier to control. Follow up with 360 and 600 and you should be fine.

You can also do a lot with a straight edge and a box cutter, just be sure to block off where you want the cut to end and give yourself as many passes as it takes to get through. (Might be as many as 15-25 passes) don't put more pressure on the blade than you feel you can control.

If the gap is too big for you, you could glue some black rubber or silicone sheet on the back of the trim to fill in that space. Something thin that gets out of the unit's way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Complete installation Kit for Element SC

This is what I used to install an aftermarket head unit in my 07 Element SC:

•Double DIN Installation Stereo Dash Kit With Trim for 2007-2011 Honda Element

•METRA 70-7863 HONDA ELEMENT 2003-2011 AMPLIFIER RETENTION WIRING HARNESS

•PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Retention Adapter Interface WITH INSTRUCTIONS

•Antenna Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-HONDA-ELEMENT-CAR-RADIO-DASH-INSTALL-KIT-TRIM-BEZEL-/272163415335?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I used to install an aftermarket head unit in my 07 Element SC:

•Double DIN Installation Stereo Dash Kit With Trim for 2007-2011 Honda Element

•METRA 70-7863 HONDA ELEMENT 2003-2011 AMPLIFIER RETENTION WIRING HARNESS

•PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Retention Adapter Interface WITH INSTRUCTIONS

•Antenna Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-HONDA-ELEMENT-CAR-RADIO-DASH-INSTALL-KIT-TRIM-BEZEL-/272163415335?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123
I just got this same kit, did you have to do any wire cutting/splicing and how involved was the steering wheel control adapter to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been a long time since I last posted, still rocking the '03 w/ 149,xxx miles and the radio is crapping out.

So a year ago, we bought a house and have been working on it, a new radio for my birthday and she said it was able to be installed in the Element. I knew about the subwoofer issues but didn't think too much about it. Now, we went to install it today and hit a few snags. 1, she bought the wrong wiring adaptor 70-1726 vs 70-7863. So we need to reorder anyway.

But, the head unit is a JVC-KW-R910BT and it has an internal amp of 50wx4.

The SW is a line out, but the speaker outs aren't. So I need a Line-Level Converter, correct?

3 questions:

1) Which one
2) where do you install it? Is there enough room in the dash behind the HU to place it, or does it need to be stuffed away elsewhere?
3) What other harnesses are needed to add the converter?

I read the first few pages, but I haven't read everything, if it was covered prior, just say "READ MOAR", which is what I'm about to do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Been a long time since I last posted, still rocking the '03 w/ 149,xxx miles and the radio is crapping out.

So a year ago, we bought a house and have been working on it, a new radio for my birthday and she said it was able to be installed in the Element. I knew about the subwoofer issues but didn't think too much about it. Now, we went to install it today and hit a few snags. 1, she bought the wrong wiring adaptor 70-1726 vs 70-7863. So we need to reorder anyway.

But, the head unit is a JVC-KW-R910BT and it has an internal amp of 50wx4.

The SW is a line out, but the speaker outs aren't. So I need a Line-Level Converter, correct?

3 questions:

1) Which one
2) where do you install it? Is there enough room in the dash behind the HU to place it, or does it need to be stuffed away elsewhere?
3) What other harnesses are needed to add the converter?

I read the first few pages, but I haven't read everything, if it was covered prior, just say "READ MOAR", which is what I'm about to do.
looks like this will work and there is definitely room in the dash

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4-Line-Output-Converter.html?tp=3486

http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageHandler/trim/3000/1950/products/2008/142/x142SLC4-F.jpeg

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an EX with 7 speakers. I have a SDR tuner with a SMA connector. Does qanyone know where I can get an antenna adapter for the original wiring harness. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subwoofer hint

Maybe it's posted before, but I didn't see it. I tripled checked my connections and had no sound from my aftermarket head unit, I checked the settings on the new unit and had to turn on the subwoofer in the settings.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts