Honda Element Owners Club banner

441 - 447 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
173 Posts
To really diagnose it, you need to measure the oil pressure on the engine at the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P2646 Error and resolution

I, too, had issues with my oil solenoid/ oil pressure switch. Actually replaced it twice. Error recurred shortly thereafter in each case. I discovered that the 2 wired connectors that are attached to the solenoid are NOT waterproof. On a hunch, I pulled the 2 connectors which I quickly discovered had moisture inside. Solution was to take some cotton swabs and clean the contacts on all 4 surfaces, take a hair dryer and dry them out as thoroughly as possible, then apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease around the base of the wired connectors, being careful not to apply any to the metal contacts themselves.
Putting the connectors back in place will force the grease to both the outside and inside surfaces sufficient to keep out any moisture. Since we had MAJOR rain here in SoCal last week, driving in this horrible rainstorm was a true test of my remedy. No more issues or codes for this solenoid. Hope this helps!!!

BobM
I have an 03 that is having these issues, just had a new solenoid installed and it came right back but I am hoping this may be it! Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse...

But I have the old p2646 thing going on currently, have replaced the whole solenoid, not just the oil pressure switch, have been changing the oil every 1000 miles, and for the last 3500 miles or so, I'm still getting the CEL, and for the same p2646. So my question is...
1) has anyone had this issue resolve itself over time with more frequent oil changes? My mechanic seems to think that it will resolve itself this way.(I just purchased the car in January of this year)
2) the issue of not being able to drive faster than 57mph kind of sucks, I have a 47 mile commute to work, and it's mostly highway...does anyone happen to know the top speed of an E with p2646 on, if I do the 6 gear conversion? My car has no other problems otherwise. Thanks in advance for any advice.
70 mph exactly for me but that thats null on an incline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found My Problem

Well after 3 years of spewing money at this issue...and numerous hours of diagnosis, and several mechanic shops / dealers (6) I have discovered my issue.

I took it to my 3rd Honda dealer service center the other day and they kept it overnight... I originally just wanted to re-flash my computer to make sure it wasn't messing with the system...The head technician took me back to the car and we reviewed some of my previous diagnosis. I explained how I haven't checked under the timing cover yet. They kept it over night and spent the next day looking behind the timing cover. They discovered my timing chain was stretched, cams were worn, and there was a lot of sludge in the cylinder head... I have only had this vehicle since 2015 and am the 4th owner... They said I need a new engine (which I suspected a while back). With all that is now wrong with the vehicle besides needing an engine, I now am looking into buying a CRV EX-L to replace this disaster of a situation I have been living with for 3 years. I hope this helps others that have spent any nest egg they may have had chasing this dragon... Check the timing chain/cams. Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip. Im praying to the Honda gods that this is not my issue but I believe I have the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well my dear EOC friends I have had my first problem with my Element after 96,000 miles. While driving down the road the other day my malfunction indicator lamp came on. I instantly thought it was my gas cap so I removed and reinstalled it and took off again but I started cutting out and losing power. I instantly thought it was an 02 sensor, plugs, wires, or cat. convert. so I took it in to Autozone this morning to have the code pulled and got [PO2646 Rocker Arm off or stuck] code. I have never heard of such a code so I took it in to my dealership for them to hook it up and see what they find. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this code or has any clue what could be the possible cause. Ill keep you updated.
I have been having problems with this code (2646) for over a month now. My Mecanic is stumped. We have replaced Rocker arm, and did a complete oil change, Tune up and full service on AC. Replaced coils. Replaced oil pressure solenoid. And still code #2646 comes up! Also miss fires comes up. It chokes when taking off from signals. Don't know what to try next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh boy..I wish I had known of how common this issue was before I looked at Es and bought mine.
Hi everyone. New owner and member here. Unfortunately I'm in the changing my vvt boat. Problem with mine is the hardware is stripped. I'm sorry if this has been asked...446 posts in this thread....does anyone know where I could get new mounting hardware??

441 - 447 of 447 Posts